Welcome to the Wordlady blog!

This blog is about the fascinating, fun, and challenging things about the English language. I hope to entertain you and to help you with problems or just questions you might have with spelling and usage. I go beyond just stating what is right and what is wrong, and provide some history or some tips to help you remember. Is something puzzling you? Feel free to email me at wordlady.barber@gmail.com.
You can also order my best-selling books, Six Words You Never Knew Had Something to do With Pigs and Only in Canada You Say. Fun and informative!

Subscribe!

Subscribe! Fun facts about English delivered weekly right to your inbox. IT'S FREE! Fill in your email address below.
Privacy policy: we will not sell, rent, or give your name or address to anyone. You can unsubscribe at any point.

Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2015

Cummerbund or cumberbund?


First of all, I would like to extend a very warm welcome to the over a hundred new subscribers to Wordlady who heard me on the CBC last weekend. If you missed it, here's the link:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/The+Vinyl+Cafe/ID/2661745438/
This interview seems to have unleashed a pent-up spate of pronunciation-related questions, so for the next few weeks I will become the Pronunciation Lady. 

Today's topic is somewhat pronunciation-related.
 
It's wedding season, bringing with it the highly seasonal need to mention this piece of formal attire:


A friend recently asked me if "cumberbund" was an OK variant of "cummerbund". She had a bet riding on it with her husband. This is not the first time I've heard of beers and pizza being the high stakes in a "What's the right word/spelling/pronunciation?" question. I wonder if the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Commission has ever thought of launching a Language Usage Issue Wager game.

Alas, my friend was out a beer, because "cumberbund" and its close cousin "cumberbun", are, in my judgement, incorrect (though not uncommon, or do I mean uncombon). You will find "cumberbund" listed as a possible variant in the Merriam-Webster dictionaries, but in no Oxford dictionaries. Interestingly, the first quotation we have in English for the word includes that intrusive "b" (and I suspect that historical usage accounts for Merriam-Webster's inclusion):
1616   R. Cocks Diary (1883) I. 147   A sample of gallie pottes..chint bramport, and combarbands, with the prices.

Were I writing a dictionary today, I would still not include "cumberbund", as it is vastly outnumbered in the evidence by "cummerbund".

It's not surprising this word does not come trippingly off the tongue, especially as the wide sash-like belt it describes is becoming much less fashionable (so I understand), replaced by vests in men's formal wedding and prom outfits. 

We borrowed the word and the thing from the Indian subcontinent, where the wide sash it describes is part of some traditional attire: 

It comes from the Urdu and Persian kamar (loins) and band (tie or sash), so literally it is a loin cloth (Wordlady's fashion tip: do not wear a loin cloth to your wedding or prom). 

Our first borrowing of the item was as dress military attire, but by the end of the 19th century, cummerbunds had become an item of civilian formal wear.

So, where did that intrusive "b" come from?  I expect it is by analogy with the already existing word "cumber". And I wouldn't be surprised if it is currently being reinforced by the popularity of Benedict Cumberbatch (whose name, by the way, means "Cumbrian stream").

(I tried to find a picture of Cumberbatch in a cummerbund -- try saying that fast -- but no luck.)


P.S. If you find the English language fascinating, you might enjoy regular updates about English usage and word origins from Wordlady. Receive every new post delivered right to your inbox! If you are not already subscribed, you can either:

use the subscribe window at the top of this page
OR
(if you are reading this on a mobile device): send me an email with the subject line SUBSCRIBE at wordlady.barber@gmail.com

Privacy policy: we will not sell, rent, or give your name or address to anyone. You can unsubscribe at any point.

Follow me on twitter: @thewordlady





6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the enlightening article! I do not personally own this word, and I doubt I've actually spoken it (incorrectly) but a handful of times in my 72 years. But for some reason it seeped into my head a few minutes ago and I had to find out what the right spelling was. Well written. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your "judgement" incorrect? In my judgment (the correct spelling of that "j" word) -- not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you look in any dictionary you will find that both spellings are accepted. Judgement is more common in the UK, judgment in the US. Canadians are split about 50/50 on the question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandela effect strikes again

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll continue my own research on this word. Sorry, I don't trust anyone who doesn't spell judgment correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You aren’t a lexicographer. She is. She has just told you that there are alternative spellings. How is this confusing? Where are you going to do more “research”? So many people think they are more of an expert than the experts.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Canada's Word Lady, Katherine Barber is an expert on the English language and a frequent guest on radio and television. She was Editor-in-Chief of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary. Her witty and informative talks on the stories behind our words are very popular. Contact her at wordlady.barber@gmail.com to book her for speaking engagements; she can tailor her talks to almost any subject. She is also available as an expert witness for lawsuits.